People love curly hair. Girls with straight hair use curlers to curl their hair and those with curly hair get complimented. So in this article, we’ll go through the top tips from beauty experts on how to take care of curly hairs, what should you avoid, and even the best hairstyles for curly hair.
Not everyone understands that how difficult it is to manage and take care of curly hairs. Curls are very unpredictable and difficult to control. Sometimes, people even get angry with their curls.
Top tips to take care of curly hairs
Caring for your curly hair doesn’t have to be hard and frankly, it isn’t hard. It’s about nailing the basics and you’re set for life.
Choose shampoo for your hair type
All hair loves a shampoo that caters to its needs. Curly hair is no different. By knowing what to avoid and what to look for, your hair will thank you someday. It’s also important to note that washing your hair regularly is crucial to maintaining a healthy, strong, and silky look.
Use a shampoo that doesn’t contain any toxic material. The toxic material includes sulfates, alcohol, and parabens. These noxious substances can irritate your scalp.
On other hand, these ingredients are what you should be looking for in a good shampoo:
- Natural oils like coconut, jojoba, avocado, and sunflower.
- Aloe vera
- Shea butter
- Plant extracts
Bonus tip: Once every 1 or 2 weeks, use a clarifying shampoo on oily or dirty hair.
Try a pre-shampoo treatment
If you have very curly hair, you might consider having a pre-shampoo treatment. Most people are familiar with the concept of conditioning after shampooing to restore the moisture in your hair. However, another way you can really amp up your moisture level is to use a pre-shampoo. It works to coat the hair strands and protect them against the moisture-stripping properties of the shampoo.
Shower with cool water
Cool water helps to retain your hair’s strength and moisture. In addition, it also helps to energize you for the day ahead. Hot water is tempting as it’s nerve-relaxing but for your hair, it’s a moisture-eating “monster”.
Wash in moderation
People with curly hair should not use shampoo every day. It can strip away the necessary nutrients and oil from your hair. You can try different cleansing schedules to see what works best for you. Examples could be shampoo every other day or after 3 days.
Choose a suitable brush or comb
Curly hair is often weak and brittle. Therefore, it can break easily when you comb or brush it without proper care of curly hairs. Curly hair should be brushed in the shower to avoid breakage. To avoid breakage:
- Remove any knots with a wide-tooth comb.
- Invest your money in a high-quality brush with natural bristles.
- Don’t use a brush made up of plastic (good for you and the environment).
For springy curls, it is better not to use a comb. Apply leave-in conditioner and rake with your finger through the wet hair.
Use of heat for hairstyling
Let your curly hair dry by itself because a blow dryer can damage them. Sometimes, you with curly hair wish to straighten your hair by using a straightener rod. Don’t forget to use some heat-protecting spray before this treatment. Use spray having keratin or silicon which seals the cuticle to prevent heat damage.
During blow drying your hair, researchers suggest that keep it away 6 inches or more from the surface of the hair. A diffuser attachment can limit the amount of heat that touches your hair.
Save your hair from split ends
It’s really hard to avoid split ends. Except cutting there is no way to repair the split ends. You can avoid split ends by being gentle with your hair and following a few guidelines:
- Use a detangler before brushing.
- It’s better not to tie your hair in tight ponytails.
- Always use a wide-tooth comb.
- Avoid using heat tools if possible.
- Get a cut every 2-3 months.
A better hair washing routine
It’s not necessary to shower every day, especially if you live in a cold climate. If you prefer to shower regularly, you can wash with water and use a conditioner afterward. Dirt can be rinsed off with a gentle, mild shampoo.
If you have used a styling product, use a clarifying shampoo after 1 to 2 weeks.
Sleep with curly hair
Sleeping on your back and compressing your hair can damage your hair follicles. As a result, your curly hair can look messy and knotty. We recommend using a headscarf to wrap and protect your curls while sleeping.
Another option worth checking out is using a hair mask, essential oil, or a leave-in conditioner to tame the curls. It also helps to add moisture to your lovely hair. Here are some of the best oils for your hair:
- Coconut oil.
- Olive oil.
- Avocado oil.
- Jojoba oil.
- Argan oil.
- Castor oil.
- Grapeseed oil.
Things to Avoid If You Have Curly Hair
On the journey of caring for curly hair, there are some things you should avoid. Curly hairs are very delicate and they need special attention. Certainly, you wouldn’t want huge chunks of accidental hair loss.
Let’s have a look at those which shouldn’t be a part of your care of curly hairs routine.
- Don’t use products with alcohol, sulfates, any other harsh products, or chemicals.
- Avoid use clarifying shampoo more than once a week.
- Don’t sleep on your back.
- Avoid use heat styling tools more than once or twice a month.
- In the shower, don’t rinse your hair with hot water.
- Avoid tying your hair in a tight ponytail.
- Stop using fine-tooth combs
- Avoid factors that cause hair loss i.e. dandruff, smoking, COVID-19, and hair dye. You can go through our blog to know how you can get rid of persistent dandruff.
Best Hairstyles For Curly Hair
- Combine your hair in the form of a ponytail and tie them with elastic.
- Divide them into two sections.
- Round them around the base of a ponytail and tie them with the help of bobby pins.
- Repeat the procedure for the second part.
- Give it a total round shape with your hands.
- Leave a small section of hair out while making the top knot.
- Braid the left-out section and tie it by using bobby pins with the ponytail.
This is one of the most convenient and easy hairstyles for girls with curly hair. It keeps your hair safe from damage. You can make French braids, Dutch braids, and cornrows.
- Divide your hair from the middle into two sections.
- Divide your hair into two sections starting in the middle.
- Separate these two sections into three sections.
- Begin with a three-strand braid from the top.
- Cross the pieces on the right into the middle underneath the center part, then do the same on the left.
- Gradually add more hair to the braid towards the bottom.
- At the bottom, secure the braid with an elastic band.
· Ponytail (Slicked)
- Apply a lightweight gel on your hair.
- With a boar brush, pull back the top section of your hair into a sleek ponytail.
- Tie it with a bobby pin.
· Updo Three Braids
- Separate your hair into three parts.
- Make a three-strand braid of each part.
- Pull the top section across the back of your head.
- Tie it with the help of a bobby pin.
- Repeat with the remaining sections, tying them together with bobby pins.
- Cover the loose strands of the hair with bobby pins.
· Victory Curls
The name of this hair is associated with the part of WW2.
- Part your hair to the side for this look.
- Twirl a section of your hair from the front and pin it to the back.
- Repeat the process on the opposite side.
- Use cat liner to lift the elegancy of the hairstyle.
These are some simple, beginner-friendly, and quick hairstyles that can get you out of your house quickly. Not only that, it’s not too tight so your hair remains safe from any further damage.
Conclusion: How To Take Care Of Curly Hairs?
The most important conclusion is that moisture is absolutely crucial for curly hairs. Invest in good conditioners, gentle cleansing shampoos, and follow best practices to save your curls from their doom.